2006-03-29

Revit Systems in Facilities Management (FM)/Who's Teaching BIM?

I've been speculating on the feasibility of something like this for quite a while.

I'd love to have all of the systems in my facility documented in a program like this... tired of all of the CAFM programs being about managing the assets... we need to be able to manage the facility as well.

*Could* one of these programs be used in this manner? Yes? No? Not yet?

I'd love to hear thoughts on this from people. I'm curious if any contractors/designers/engineers are using a program like ABS or Revit Systems (or planning to), and whether you have any clients who are aware and interested in using your construction documentation in order to maintain their infrastructure?

I'm reposting some comments from this thread on the Autodesk discussions groups, as a response to my question as to how soon schools will be able to produce designers and engineers that are familiar with this type of software.

The following colleges & high schools are either teaching Revit Building in a design studio, BIM course or are making it available to their students.
· Top 5 US Architectural Colleges/Universities (Design Intelligence 2005)
1. Yale University
2. Penn State
3. Texas A&M
4. Iowa State
5. Rice University (Spring 2006)
· 73 Universities/Colleges in North America
· 163 High Schools in North America

As BIM adoption grows in the building industry, so does the use of BIM in educational curricula. BIM is being leveraged within several universities around the world and students who have hands-on access and training to this way of working are not only accelerating their design thinking and studio work, but laying the foundation for dramatically advancing their future in the industry.
Steve

6 comments:

Revit Rockstar said...

I teach Revit at Long Beach City College in CA and Cuyamaca College in San Diego, California ... I know that Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa CA is about to start teaching Revit as well

Will Harris
The Revit® Rockstar

Mistress of the Dorkness said...

Will,

Thanks for commenting, I don't think I've seen your blog before ~bookmarking~.

This post was made about 2 1/2 years ago and I'm happy to say that even my company is looking into a BIMplementation (although it will likely be done with our newer facilities first, as an ancient behemoth like my campus, we'll be a nightmare).

BUT, I do have to say, I'm a bit disappointed that the Technical College whose advisory board I've been serving on for a couple of years, still has not added a Revit program to any of their classes. They've had great success with Inventor and quickly placed every graduate who used it, so I think they should take a clue from that and hop on the train.

Thanks for sharing the great news of the forward-thinking schools that you've mentioned!

Unknown said...

Hi Melanie:
I am looking for REVIT teachers who would like to teach in the Philippines for 1 year and possibly more. We are starting up a training center there and was just wondering if you could give me a list of the 73 Universities/Colleges and 163 High Schools in North America. Hope you could help me out...

Jesus Quimpo
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Mistress of the Dorkness said...

Jesus,

As I posted above, those statistics are quoted, they belong to this person:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/profile.jspa?userID=106350
So, I don't have a list of those schools.

What I think you can do is to post that you're looking for these folks in the following two places.

The Classifieds section of the Autodesk Discussion groups, and the AUGI job forums (the augi forum for job postings can only be seen if you're logged in).

You'll either find people, or people who know people.

Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

I am looking for a college or school where I can take Revit class for MEP engineers in St. Louis, MO. Does anybody know anything about it? Thank you for your help.

Mistress of the Dorkness said...

Nadia,

I only know of a couple school evens teaching Revit Architecture, and know of none teaching Revit MEP.

I do know that you can take classes with one or two of the local resellers. When I was at the AUGI CAD Camp in 2007, one of the other attendees told me they had RMEP training with Seiler Instrument and it was really great.

I took Revit Architecture classes through CADlearning and they were really good, and they've finally added some RMEP classes!
http://www.cadlearning.com/lms/course/view.php?id=290