2006-04-28

Bloggers, Bloggers Everywhere

I haven't posted much this week... busy catching up from vacation. But, I've also been _orking on my pet project... details about blogs. I've been throwing every blog link I can find into my Favorites folder, most of them more for the use of people in various industries I come across.
But, some of the names are rather ambiguous, so I've imported the list of 90 (yes, ninety) CAD-Design-Programming related blogs into a spreadsheet and am in the process of listing the industry and programs used of all of the posters.

A minor bit of trivia is that this month has seen the one year anniversary of my own blog. April 12th, 2005 I made my first post as the Mistress of the Dorkness (which, for some reason, seemed like a good idea at the time).

That realization, made me think back slightly further, to when I was still doing a LUG newsletter... in the January 2005 edition, I published my listing of a whopping 26 blogs. My, what the past year has brought, eh?

What is so great about blogs anyway? Well, those who work in the industry can spit out little bite-sized, easily digestible chunks of knowledge for all of the world to see.
I believe I just saw a posting by Roopinder Tara about why blogs are a favorite medium for us?

Personally, back when I was an editor... I really did love the editing part of my work. It was a challenge right up my alley helping the smarter, more technical people get their ideas across in an effective manner... what I didn't like about editing was recruiting authors, and weeding out the self-promoters. blah! That part of the gig just wasn't worth my time.

And... as a writer... I'm not all that good at selling myself... my work, my ideas, my opinions. I don't easily approach an editor and say 'I'm qualified to write for your publication and this is what I'd like to write about'.

I'm pretty anti-social anyway, and selling myself to a prospective publisher is more than a little intimidating.

And so, I blog.

I write what I want to, unedited, unrestrained... and unpaid.

Well, blogging does have it's pluses and minuses. ;)

After I complete my first draft of my listing of blogs, I'll find someplace to host the file and post a link back here.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You weren't kidding about keeping a Blogers list...g

Mistress of the Dorkness said...

come on, would I lie?

and for the good readership, let's clarify that it's not a list, it's actually a spreadsheet. ;)

Mistress of the Dorkness said...

Just as an update, I've now got 103 CAD-related blogs on my list... still filling in discipline/product information about each entry...